IOCAS-IR  > 海洋地质与环境重点实验室
Contributions of advection and melting processes to the decline in sea ice in the Pacific sector of the Arctic Ocean
Bi, Haibo1,2,3,4; Yang, Qinghua5,6,7; Liang, Xi8; Zhang, Liang1,2,3,4; Wang, Yunhe1,2,3,4; Liang, Yu1,2,3,4; Huang, Haijun1,2,3,4
2019-05-08
Source PublicationCRYOSPHERE
ISSN1994-0416
Volume13Issue:5Pages:1423-1439
Corresponding AuthorBi, Haibo(bhb@qdio.ac.cn)
AbstractThe Pacific sector of the Arctic Ocean (PA, hereafter) is a region sensitive to climate change. Given the alarming changes in sea ice cover during recent years, knowledge of sea ice loss with respect to ice advection and melting processes has become critical. With satellite-derived products from the National Snow and Ice Center (NSIDC), a 38-year record (1979-2016) of the loss in sea ice area in summer within the Pacific-Arctic (PA) sector due to the two processes is obtained. The average sea ice outflow from the PA to the Atlantic-Arctic (AA) Ocean during the summer season (June-September) reaches 0.173 x 10(6) km(2), which corresponds to approximately 34 % of the mean annual export (October to September). Over the investigated period, a positive trend of 0.004 x 10(6) km(2) yr(-1) is also observed for the outflow field in summer. The mean estimate of sea ice retreat within the PA associated with summer melting is 1.66 x 10(6) km(2), with a positive trend of 0.053 x 10(6) km(2) yr(-1). As a result, the increasing trends of ice retreat caused by outflow and melting together contribute to a stronger decrease in sea ice coverage within the PA (0.057 x 10(6) km(2) yr(-1)) in summer. In percentage terms, the melting process ac- counts for 90.4 % of the sea ice retreat in the PA in summer, whereas the remaining 9.6 % is explained by the outflow process, on average. Moreover, our analysis suggests that the connections are relatively strong (R = 0.63), moderate (R = -0.46), and weak (R = -0.24) between retreat of sea ice and the winds associated with the dipole anomaly (DA), North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO), and Arctic Oscillation (AO), respectively. The DA participates by impacting both the advection (R = 0.74) and melting (R = 0.55) processes, whereas the NAO affects the melting process (R = -0.46).
DOI10.5194/tc-13-1423-2019
Indexed BySCI
Language英语
Funding ProjectNational Natural Science Foundation of China[41406215] ; NSFC Shandong Joint Fund for Marine Science Research Centers[U1606401]
WOS Research AreaPhysical Geography ; Geology
WOS SubjectGeography, Physical ; Geosciences, Multidisciplinary
WOS IDWOS:000467458200001
PublisherCOPERNICUS GESELLSCHAFT MBH
Citation statistics
Document Type期刊论文
Identifierhttp://ir.qdio.ac.cn/handle/337002/161353
Collection海洋地质与环境重点实验室
Corresponding AuthorBi, Haibo
Affiliation1.Chinese Acad Sci, Inst Oceanol, Key Lab Marine Geol & Environm, Qingdao, Shandong, Peoples R China
2.Qingdao Natl Lab Marine Sci & Technol, Lab Marine Geol, Qingdao, Shandong, Peoples R China
3.Chinese Acad Sci, Ctr Ocean Mega Sci, Qingdao, Shandong, Peoples R China
4.Univ Chinese Acad Sci, Coll Earth & Planetary Sci, Beijing, Peoples R China
5.Sun Yat Sen Univ, Sch Atmospher Sci, Guangdong Prov Key Lab Climate Change & Nat Disas, Zhuhai, Peoples R China
6.Chinese Acad Sci, IAP, State Key Lab Numer Modeling Atmospher Sci & Geop, Beijing, Peoples R China
7.Southern Marine Sci & Engn Guangdong Lab Zhuhai, Zhuhai, Peoples R China
8.Natl Marine Environm Forecasting Ctr, Key Lab Res Marine Hazards Forecasting, Beijing, Peoples R China
First Author AffilicationInstitute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Corresponding Author AffilicationInstitute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Recommended Citation
GB/T 7714
Bi, Haibo,Yang, Qinghua,Liang, Xi,et al. Contributions of advection and melting processes to the decline in sea ice in the Pacific sector of the Arctic Ocean[J]. CRYOSPHERE,2019,13(5):1423-1439.
APA Bi, Haibo.,Yang, Qinghua.,Liang, Xi.,Zhang, Liang.,Wang, Yunhe.,...&Huang, Haijun.(2019).Contributions of advection and melting processes to the decline in sea ice in the Pacific sector of the Arctic Ocean.CRYOSPHERE,13(5),1423-1439.
MLA Bi, Haibo,et al."Contributions of advection and melting processes to the decline in sea ice in the Pacific sector of the Arctic Ocean".CRYOSPHERE 13.5(2019):1423-1439.
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Related Services
Recommend this item
Bookmark
Usage statistics
Export to Endnote
Google Scholar
Similar articles in Google Scholar
[Bi, Haibo]'s Articles
[Yang, Qinghua]'s Articles
[Liang, Xi]'s Articles
Baidu academic
Similar articles in Baidu academic
[Bi, Haibo]'s Articles
[Yang, Qinghua]'s Articles
[Liang, Xi]'s Articles
Bing Scholar
Similar articles in Bing Scholar
[Bi, Haibo]'s Articles
[Yang, Qinghua]'s Articles
[Liang, Xi]'s Articles
Terms of Use
No data!
Social Bookmark/Share
All comments (0)
No comment.
 

Items in the repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.